Friday, June 4, 2010

Everything Begins With a Decision

I suppose this is something I've always known. That the ability to complete any task, be it great or small, begins with a decision. To select paper or plastic bags at the grocery store. To be the class clown or the scholar. To take the stairs instead of the elevator. To let a person know that they've hurt you instead of internalizing the pain. To tell someone that you love them as opposed to hiding your emotions for fear of rejection. To give or to take.


If I actually counted, I'm confident that I make hundreds of decisions each day. We all do. We decide what to wear. The best route to the office. How to handle workplace challenges. What to eat for lunch. The list goes on and on. And while I cannot always predict the outcome of the choices I make, most of the time I know when I'm on the right path. As I continue on my journey to a physically healthier Ange, I find myself wondering why it took me so long to decide that I was worth it. That I deserved to live a life filled with all of the richness that this world has to offer.


Though it seems so simple now, it wasn't simple then. I was so overwhelmed by what I needed to do to get healthy that I was literally paralyzed. In my mind, the odds were so stacked against me that I could not do the very thing that we all do hundreds of times each day...make a decision. What I can see today that I could not see 15 weeks ago is that just like the simple tasks that we do each day, like getting dressed and combing our hair, the difficult tasks are equally achievable if we have the right tools. Imagine, brushing your teeth without a toothbrush. Ridiculous. So no matter what your challenge may be, don't be the Ange that I used to be. Don't wait another day to make the decision to obtain the tools you need to thrive.


In other words...what I'm actually saying is...stop existing, and choose to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment