Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Little Milestones Along The Way

Today I'm about 6 lbs from a major weight loss moment. When I have shed these next 6 lbs, I'll be able to say that I've lost 100. That's huge...both literally and figuratively. But, I haven't written in the past three weeks because, as I've approached this milestone, I kept thinking...maybe I should just wait until I hit that big number. Then I'll have something really important to say. But honestly, I'm starting to realize that in waiting for that "big number," I'm missing lots of significant small numbers along the way.
For example: 8...the number of hours I've spent line dancing in the last 4 days; 6...the number of dress sizes I've gone down since I had my surgery; 3...the number of flights of stairs I climbed last weekend as I proceeded to my seat in the Cort Theater in the Broadway District in NYC; 2...the number of hours I spent walking and looking at vendors in Time Square, completely pain free; or 0...the number of times I had to stop to catch my breath.
When I consider these little milestones on my journey, I realize how insignificant that "big number" truly is. This adventure is all about creating a space for myself in the world. For so long, though I didn't know it, my life was about using food to cope and survive. And in the process, I never tasted anything. Now I'm pausing to learn more, to love more, and to appreciate every step and detour that I make. So I say, hooray for the number 8, the number 6, the number 3, the number 2, and for 0 because...

8+6+3+2+0 = A Woman Who Is Choosing To Live!

No comments:

Post a Comment